Class #326 | 45-Second Tortillas & Daily Diligence
Welcome to the J&J Tortilla Factory! We are milling whole organic corn to make soft corn tortillas and the crispiest, flakiest, oil-free, oven-baked chips you’ve ever had, AND inspiring you to take action with daily diligence toward your 12-week transformation goal.
- Engage in our official support group, Protective Diet Living (PDL). Join Live Chats & Coaching Hour for personal assistance.
- Shop http://www.protectivediet.com/azure, the organic farm that delivers near you, for low-cost, high-quality PD staples.
- Take advantage of current savings on Protective Diet Plant-Based Broth Mix.
Action Steps: Tortillas and a “Talk”
- Make Perfect Tortillas with Test Kitchen Precision
- Always follow the written recipe for 45-Second Corn Tortillas, rather than the video, for the most up-to-date guidance.
- It’s all about the puff. Steam built up inside creates air pockets that result in light tortillas & flaky chips. No steam, no puff.
- For the perfect puff, focus on P·R·E·C·I·S·I·O·N in these five areas:
|Preheat pan on the highest heat it can handle. A cast iron pan may get too hot, so decrease the temperature slightly. Set water to boil. Water must be very hot. Note: When having company over for a fresh tortilla feast, make several batches of tortillas before they arrive, then cook just one batch with them.||Use a kitchen scale to measure ingredients to the gram before milling or mixing. Improve ingredient quality by fresh milling whole organic blue, yellow, or white corn. Blue dent corn provides added anthocyanin protection. Write the amount of corn needed for tortillas on the storage canister to make the measuring process even faster.||Use a dough whisk to mix ingredients. Dough will be crumbly at first. Knead warm dough by hand for 3 minutes. This important step of working the dough rehydrates the flour. If not done sufficiently, tortillas will be too dry. They will crack and release steam instead of trapping it, resulting in dense, thick tortillas instead of tender, delicate tortillas.||Wrap tortilla press itself in plastic wrap to keep it mess-free. Roll dough into a log. Cut into 16 slices. No need to roll slices into balls. Work quickly to press each slice between plastic sheets, not parchment. Plastic has more give, so dough can be pressed thinner. Press. Rotate tortilla. Press. Peel plastic off and cook immediately.||Be precise. Use a stopwatch to cook each side for 15 seconds. Flip a third time, back to the first side, for 15 sec. 15 + 15 + 15 = 45 sec. If cooking more than one tortilla at a time, keep track and time the flips precisely. Don’t allow them to overcook and crack. If one cracks, protect your finger with a towel and cover the crack to trap steam inside.|
- Airfry Tortillas to Make Chips or Tostadas (watch Class #266 for conventional oven tips)
- Breville Smart Oven Air Fryer Instructions:
– Tostadas are the fastest—our favorite easy energy vessel to deliver protective polyphenols straight to our microbes.
– Chips are better for company because they are more familiar. Follow the same baking instructions for both.
– Transfer rack to Air Fryer and bake at 350˚, on air fry setting, for 8-9 minutes (9-minutes on the first batch, 8 after that).
- If chips are chewy and you can’t bite into them, they are not done yet. Fresh milled corn crunches up better than masa.
- Meal Idea: a Beauty Broth Hotpot starter, followed by a main meal of shredded Iceberg Lettuce (Great Lakes Crisp Head from Baker Creek—rareseeds.com—grown hydroponically in my salad grow room), Guiltless Guacamole, Chips, Tostadas, Tortillas, and a protective beverage, like Flower Water.
- Transform Your Life with Daily Diligence
Begin—Watch Class #325 3-Month Goal Challenge for guidance on designing your own 12-Week Transformation.
- Determine the one thing that could most transform your life in the next 3 months. Don’t be afraid to make a BIG GOAL.
- Identify the action steps you need to take to get there—What do you need to start doing? What do you need to stop doing?
- Do the action steps with daily diligence. Daily Diligence = careful, persistent work and effort. It’s not easy.
- BIG GOALS are not achieved by living like everyone else. You are doing something different than everyone else to produce outstanding results. It can be very uncomfortable in the beginning because you have to create a change.
- Example: you want very low BMI for longevity, disease prevention, fitness and comfortable jeans. Don’t feel shameful about wanting the body of your dreams. This BIG GOAL takes effort and daily diligence. It’s not easy. But, don’t retract when it’s uncomfortable. Don’t go looking for something easier because easier is not going to produce life changing, dramatic, attention-getting results. People are watching you because you are doing things differently. Follow through 100%.
Go All In—that’s when it gets easy. A 100% Protective Diet is the most direct route to your goal. It will eliminate the cravings.
Your bad microbes will give up and die, unless you are feeding them that little tidbit of sugar. Then they will demand more.
Dying microbes are relentless, that’s why you have to have a little bit each day, then a little bit more and it never works out.
- Do your goal fulltime—no “weekends off”. Dramatic, transformational results come from doing something dramatically different with daily diligence. If we still include off-plan foods on the weekend, we are not going to see exciting results.
- In the Protective Diet community we don’t support comfort in the discomfort of a lifestyle that promotes disease and keeps you struggling. We push you past the discomfort to change that brings lasting freedom. Go all in.
Keep Going—In moments of resistance, remember that you WANT to achieve your goals, so push through excuses and take action.
- Your old ways are comfortable, but they lead to the stress of not accomplishing your deepest, most exciting desires.
- Tool: If you slip up, be honest with yourself. Identify the obstacle and make a plan for next time. Write it in your Calendar of Achievements to maintain momentum toward your goal—“Next time I will…” or “If (this happens), then I will (action step).”
- Gauge your success by the number of days you have been consistent (daily diligence) rather than the number on the scale.
Expect Results—remove doubt. Your body responds rapidly because of the way you are feeding it.
- Results are typical when we are diligent every day. You are producing amazing results—getting ready for the big reveal!
- You are only 3 months from an unrecognizable you. Visualize your prize. It is achievable in the next 10 weeks. Let me be your biggest cheerleader. Watch supporting videos in the archives. Cook with me. It is my goal to get you to where you want to be—optimal health. Surround yourself with health-minded people in the Protective Diet community.
- Give it YOUR VERY BEST! Watch the inspiring Death Crawl scene from Facing the Giants. Soon you will be in the end zone!
Cooking & Lifestyle Tips
Protective Diet Family Gut Microbiome Population Project:
- Watch Class #327 for a roundup of Protective Diet Education information about assessing the health of your microbiome.
- Integrate the information to transform an unhealthy microbial population to a healthy, thriving one. Learn how to ease your way into fiber until you populate microbes that can ferment and digest fiber to eliminate digestive distress.
- The microbiome is the control panel of our whole life experience and the most accurate monitor of our health.
- I love to eat! I’m so happy I found my way with a Protective Diet and Day Fasting so I can enjoy myself every day.
- Meet me live in class so I can give you a push, the motivation and inspiration, to get you on your way to an unrecognizable you.
“I am all about pushing you past the discomfort,
so you produce outstanding results.”
Welcome to the J&J Tortilla Factory! We are milling whole organic corn to make soft corn tortillas and the crispiest, flakiest, oil-free, oven-baked chips you’ve ever had, AND inspiring you to take action with daily diligence toward your 12-week transformation goal.Class URL: https://protectivediet.com/courses/protective-diet-education/lessons/class-326-45-second-tortillas-daily-diligence/