Class #278 | Winter 2020 – Fresh Produce Restock and Enjoying Indian Food
This class offers you greater grocery store independence. Take a tour of Julie’s empty fridge and venture out to restock fresh produce that stretches into 3 to 4 weeks of meals. Amidst rising costs and restaurant shutdowns, apply PD kitchen systems and recipes to cut spending, extend food freshness and even shop your fridge and pantry for a lavish Indian Buffet in the comfort of your home.
- Engage in our official support group, Protective Diet Living (PDL). We are eager to assist you with your goals.
- Shop www.protectivediet.com/bulk for low-cost, high-quality Caraway Seed, and more grocery store independence.
|Fresh Restock||Fermented||Food Cost Savings||Wonderful Why||Capsaicin|
Action Steps to Grocery Store Independence
- Defy Rising Food Costs with PD Kitchen Management Systems and Recipes
- Follow the PD-Ed guidance for stocking fresh staples and managing your fridge and freezer.
- Before shopping, do a quick inventory. Even in need of a fresh restock, a PD fridge and freezer are full of meal possibilities.
- Notice if any ferments you regularly stock are getting low. Add those ingredients to your restock list.
- If tofu is nearing the expiration date, use or transfer to the freezer indefinitely. Mark with an “X” (means it’s been frozen).
- Wipe down refrigerator shelves with All Purpose Cleaning Spray & plan meals to incorporate foods that will soon expire.
|Julie’s Empty Fridge and Freezer Inventory|
|Fridge Door – Organic Red Miso – Probiotic Pepper Sauce – Fermented Salsa – Fermented Ketchup – Real Plant Based Mayo – Sweet n Sour Duck Sauce – Fermented Cranberries – Escabeche – Ruby Raw Kraut – Chopped Nutz – Lucky Dog Treats – Probiotic Pickled Onions – Kosher Deli Pickles – Fresh Rosemary, bagged – Soymilk & Pellegrino – Applesauce & Mustards||Fridge Shelves & Drawers – Plant Based Yogurt – Probiotic Pepper Sauce, unblended – Fermented Salsa, unblended – Salsa Brine – Fermented Cherry Tomatoes – Za’atar Vinaigrette – Zesty Italian Dressing – Fermented Ginger – Preserved Lemons – Leftovers: Spicy Oil-Free Curry – Deli drawer: 4 Boxes Tofu – Herb Box: a few sprigs of parsley – Drawer: carrots, chilies, cabbage – Drawer: lemons and limes||Freezer Door – Small box fresh turmeric and ginger root for handy access – Tomato paste in pre-measured Tablespoon mounds for handy addition to recipes – Bottle of loose yeast for handy access – Sourdough Bread – Ezekiel Bread – Ice Packs||Freezer Shelves & Drawers – Gingerbread Cookies, Biscotti & Mandel Bread, portioned – 2 Ice cream maker canisters – Pomegranate arils, bagged – Frozen Cranberries, Bananas, Blueberries, Pineapple, Strawberries, Mixed Berries – Frozen Corn, Green Beans – Bulk Turmeric Root, bagged – Bulk Ginger root, bagged – Red Chili Peppers, bagged – Active Dry Yeast, 1lb bag – 3 boxes Frozen Tofu – Two spoonfuls of yogurt as back-up starter, or to give to a friend.|
- Restock Fresh Staples Less Frequently
- Some fresh staples only need to be stocked once a month (onions, garlic, cabbage, carrots, tofu). Others last 3+ weeks.
- Soon you will see recipes, instead of just vegetables, and efficiently meal plan as you shop:
– Green Bell Peppers = Stovetop Red Lentil Chili
- Use fresh food cost savings from less frequent shopping trips to stock your pantry at www.protectivediet.com/bulk.
|Julie’s Winter 2020 Fresh Restock|
3 bunches cilantro Fresh basil Spring Mix Hearts of Romaine Collard Greens Kale Iceberg Lettuce Fruits Bag Tangerines Bananas Apples Frozen Cherries Frozen Mixed Berries
Jalapeno peppers Tomatoes Persian Cucumbers Green Bell Peppers Yellow Bell Pepper Bag Yellow Onions Bag Garlic Bag Broccoli Shitake Mushrooms Bag potatoes Bag Celery Hearts 2, 4-packs of tofu
- Extend Food Freshness
- Pack delicate greens with ice packs to prevent wilting on the drive home.
- Wash & dry greens. Bag or tightly wrap. Remove air. Stays fresh for 3 weeks.
- Store rosemary or basil in an air-filled bag in the fridge door. Do not wash.
- Store garlic, onions and potatoes in a cool, dry place such as a patio or garage.
- Peppers and chilies last longer when stored in a container or bag.
- Fermenting foods offers yearlong readymade fruit and vegetable Probowl meals that extend your time between grocery store trips even more.
- Shop Your Own Fridge & Pantry For Meal Inspiration
- See how long you can go without another fresh restock. Make it a game. Create meals from what you have. “I’ve got this left. What should I make?”
- Meal Idea: Create an Oil-Free Indian Buffet at Home
– Julie demonstrates a colorful, flavor-packed, protective Indian Buffet
complete with prep & timing tips, condiment abundance and beverage
accompaniments for an authentic, sensory-filled dining experience at home.
– BONUS: enjoy two additional meals from Indian Buffet leftover remakes.
- Start your meal preparation with Dry Steamed Kale so your instant pot is free. Greens can sit on the counter until time to eat.
- Brew a more concentrated Caraway Coffee without using more caraway seed. Follow the recipe guidance to roast seeds on the stove top. Transfer seeds to the Instant Pot. Add water (4 cups water : 1T. seed) and cook under pressure 1 minute with natural release (can be done the night before). To serve, pour through a tea strainer into a mug. Rewarm on the “Keep Warm” setting.
- Pita Chip Independence: Make your own pita chips using the Oil-Free Garlic Naan recipe followed by the Baked Pita Chip recipe.
- Layer Indian Nachos with Pita Chips on bottom, followed by shredded lettuce, then toppings. This keeps the chips crisp.
- Make a celebration drink by mixing Flower Water with Pellegrino in a stemmed glass. Cheers!
- Froth soymilk by filling a jar halfway. Lid and shake vigorously. Let it sit at room temperature before adding to Chai Latte.
- Our #1 Goal is sustainability—do this every day to reverse/prevent disease, maintain ideal body weight and slow aging.
- First 30 days–Eat freely. Never feel food guilt. This is high volume, low calorie food for energy without preventing weight loss.
- Do this diligently. Stick with it. Follow through, cutting out all the junk, all the cancer fertilizers, all the foods that maintain the inflammatory disease response in your body. Keep it out. Just get through the day on plan and fill up your tummy.
- Hunger is not an emergency. Your health is the emergency. You are not going to die in the next 30 minutes. Appreciate the hunger realizing that your healthy meal in 30 minutes is going to taste that much better–improved meal satisfaction.
- Day Fasters–Stay hydrated with antioxidant protection. Hunger comes in waves. Distract yourself. Appreciate your hunger and work through it for greater meal satisfaction. No chef’s treats. I want you to have that “WOW!” when you sit down to eat.
- Thank you so much for 2020 together. You have really kept me going and I hope I have been able to keep you going.
- Make 2021 the year of you. Make you a stronger you, so you can face anything that’s coming.
“In the past, one of life’s pleasures was going to the grocery store–my “art supply store”. Now I go as infrequently as possible and we made putting it off into a game.”
|Red Lentil Dahl||Tamarind Chutney||Savory Apples|
|Perfectly Cooked Brown Rice||Raita||Protective Gum|
|Mango Chutney||Oil-Free Gluten-Free Samosas||Preserved Lemons|
|Oil-Free Garlic Naan||Indian Flatbread Pizza||Indian Nachos|
This class offers you greater grocery store independence. Take a tour of Julie’s empty fridge and venture out to restock fresh produce that stretches into 3 to 4 weeks of meals. Amidst rising costs and restaurant shutdowns, apply PD kitchen systems and recipes to cut spending, extend food freshness and even shop your fridge and pantry for a lavish Indian Buffet in the comfort of your home.URL: https://protectivediet.com/lessons/class-278-winter-2020-fresh-produce-restock-and-enjoying-indian-food