Class #335 | Food Additives Inhibit The Microbiome: Clean-Eating Made Easy
This class ensures that your daily diligence is getting you the results you expect. A Protective Diet creates a thriving microbiome, but foods and medications touted as healthy and harmless can impair it, leaving you with vulnerabilities, discomfort and slow progress.
- Engage in our official support group, Protective Diet Living (PDL). Join Live Chats & Coaching Hour for personal assistance.
- Shop http://www.protectivediet.com/azure, the organic farm that delivers near you, for low-cost, high-quality PD staples.
|Microbiome||Epithelium||Fast Food Microbes||Food Additive||Gut Dysbiosis||Fast Five|
|Plant Fiber||Butyrate Bath||30-Day Detox||Polyphenol||Glyphosate||Chef’s Treats|
Action Steps for
- Build a Diverse, Healthy Microbial Population
- Trillions of resident microbes influence our life experience far more than DNA does.
- Microbes control our health, fitness, mood, energy, metabolism, digestion, appearance, food cravings, preferences, and intolerances. Healthy microbes tighten and repair epithelial junctures, creating an impassable barrier against viruses, bacteria and other pathogens that destroy immunity. Within minutes of feeding, healthy microbes work to bathe the brain and body in calming, anti-inflammatory butyrate. The microbiome is the foundation of health.
- Challenges of an impaired microbiome include: difficulty digesting/absorbing nutrition from our food, constipation, bloating, low energy, cravings for junk, frequent illness, hormone imbalances, weight gain, inflammation, and disease.
- Healthy gut microbes survive exclusively on plant fiber and polyphenols. Protective Diet recipes are designed to give protective microbes their favorite fuel every day to keep them multiplying and thriving. A healthy microbial population causes us to crave whole plant foods instead of the fast food drive thru. This is a sign of healing. Protective Diet lifestyle recipes are designed to eliminate microbe impairing chemicals from our home environment, skin, clothing, and mouth.
- Remove off-plan foods, chemical cleaners, and self-care products. Use Protective Diet recipes as a guide to replacements.
- Drink protective beverages—healthy microbes love polyphenols in PD beverages. NOTE: sparkling water should be in a glass bottle—not aluminum cans—and contain only mineral water, no flavors or additives.
- Protect Your Healthy Microbes
- Be aware that the following will impair your microbiome. Protect the microbes you are populating by avoiding these items.
|Glyphosate RoundUp is an antibiotic herbicide spray used on crops and landscaped spaces that kills the microbiome.||Protective Diet Buy organic whenever possible. Use natural weed suppression methods. Play in untreated spaces.||Flu Shot/Vaccines Contain harmful metals. The success rate does not exceed the damage to the microbiome. Not recommended.||Protective Diet Tighten the epithelium. Prevent viruses and pathogens from entering the blood in the first place.||Baking Powder Contains questionable ingredients: aluminum, glyphosate & bioengineered corn.||Protective Diet Recipes have been rewritten to use baking soda + naturally occurring acids instead of baking powder.|
|Fast Food These foods are designed to be addictive. They promote bad gut bacteria that demand daily refills.||Protective Diet Learn to make “fast food” for healthy microbes. Select your favorites from the Quick Prep recipe category.||Tums/Antacids Neutralize the favorable acidic environment of the gut, killing healthy microbes.||Protective Diet Cut the fat including dairy, nuts, coconut, avocado, flaxseeds, and oils. Acid reflux will be eliminated.||Alternative Plant-based Milks Contain food additives, like calcium carbonate (antacid) that wipe out the microbiome.||Protective Diet Use only organic, unsweetened, plain soymilk. The only ingredients should be soybeans & water.|
|Food Additives Vitamin additives, bean/guar gums–thickeners that reduce absorption of calcium, zinc, iron. This is indicative of microbial distress.||Protective Diet Choose your own high quality vitamin B12 supplement. Instead of relying on poor variations selected by food manufacturers.||Sunflower/Soy Lecithin Causes diarrhea, bloating, vomiting, stomach aches, increased estrogen levels—evidence of microbial distress.||Protective Diet Avoid this additive often found in packaged “health” food. Make your own grab-and-go treats from the Bakery category.||Distilled White Vinegar In the big plastic jug is from either GMO grains or chemically derived acetic acid. Not fit for consumption.||Protective Diet Use it in Lifestyle recipes, not as a food. Get a glass bottle of organic, non-GMO white vinegar for PD recipes.|
- Make Clean “Fast Food”
- With your Workplace for Wellness set up, a microbe-friendly meal can be assembled in 30 minutes or less.
- Find five favorite Quick Prep recipes you love. Stock your pantry with those ingredients, and post the recipes inside the cupboard door above your meal prep station. Make those five recipes until the techniques feel natural and familiar.
- Julie Marie demonstrates a protective fast food meal for two:
|Matcha Polyphenols, antioxidants||Add organic dried mint to your Matcha to make it more palatable. Brew hot or cold. Froth. Enjoy sipping as you prepare the rest of this protective fast food meal.|
|Mix and Mac genistein, B-glucan, curcumin, allium, piperine||Use the Instant Pot variation with wheat noodles. BEFORE you cook the pasta, whisk together sauce ingredients and set aside. This allows the cold sauce mixture to warm to room temperature before mixing it with piping hot pasta. Cold sauce dilutes the heat preventing the cheeze from getting melty and stretchy. Mix with vigor.|
|7-day Sauerkraut probiotics, anthocyanins, sulforaphane, bioavailable vitamins||When you are ready to make your own probiotics, make sauerkraut and keep it in the refrigerator door for easy addition to every meal. Try a generous spoonful of this flavor-burst condiment on top of your serving of Mix and Mac.|
|Oil-Free Olive Garden Salad genistein, plant fiber diversity that microbes love, chlorophyll||Make this meal 50/50 (starch/veggies) with a chopped salad including: romaine, garden fresh tomatoes, raw sliced beets, carrots, red onion, and broccoli sprouts all tossed in creamy dressing and ready before the pasta is done cooking.|
|Soft Batch Oatmeal Cookies neuroprotective nitric oxide, B-glucan, soluble and insoluble fiber, plant protein, polyphenols||Bake ahead of time so they are cool and ready for dipping in cold organic soymilk. Reserve some for now, and stack the rest vertically in a wide-mouthed mason jar. Protective Diet recipes are formulated to fit in glass canning jars for safe storage.|
|Sheet Pan Apple Cake genistein, polyphenols, plant fiber, carotenoids||Bake ahead. Cool. Slice. Separate slices slightly. Drizzle with Royal Icing so it runs down the side of each slice. Let the icing set up. Package servings in glass containers. Freeze. Is sheet pan cake too big? Try Peach Buckle or Strawberry Rhubarb Buttermilk Buckle.|
- Protective Diet recipes and cooking techniques are innovative and even weird. The recipes are thoroughly tested and written simply enough for a novice. Be sure to read the complete recipe and follow directions to avoid user error.
- Always remove the pot from the base before pouring liquids into an Instant Pot. Separating them first will ensure that you never reflexively pour into the base before you notice the pot is absent, as well as keeping the rim of the base clean.
- PD Day Fasters eat one meal a day (OMAD) with ease for neural health, to lean down, and a host of other health benefits.
- Follow through fulltime every day. Don’t “play around Protective Diet” (PAPD). Don’t make up a whole new program because you can’t give up your avocados. You can do this if you focus on what you are going to get out of it.
- Fight through those urges the first 30 days on a Protective Diet. The bad microbes will starve and die. They will scream and squeal that third and fourth week when they’re dying off. They’re not as strong as healthy microbes. They’re easy to kill off. Starve them out! Don’t give them what they want. You’re the boss of your body. You control who populates it.
- As you progress and your microbes populate, you will automatically prefer a Yogi Bowl instead of cake. I promise.
|Jill’s Story “I grew up in a cookie house. My mom was always making cookies. If it was a holiday, Jill brought the cookies. And then she adopted a Protective Diet along with Jerry and I. She reversed her heart disease and her crippling arthritis. No pain. She broke her wrist and when the doctor x-rayed it, the signs for arthritis were there, but she had no pain. They couldn’t get over it! That was her gut microbes, her good guys, producing anti-inflammatory butyrate from all the beautiful plant fiber she was eating.”|
“Populate and protect healthy gut microbes and they will cheer you on
in choosing healthy foods.”
This class ensures that your daily diligence is getting you the results you expect. A Protective Diet creates a thriving microbiome, but foods and medications touted as healthy and harmless can impair it, leaving you with vulnerabilities, discomfort and slow progress.Class URL: https://protectivediet.com/courses/protective-diet-education/lessons/class-335-food-additives-inhibit-the-microbiome-clean-eating-made-easy/